Thursday 2 December 2010

Town and City Tufted Cape by Susan Crawford


Some 50s Elegance : Town and City Tufted Cape




Town and City Tufted Cape by Susan Crawford. Image copyright Arbour House Publishing.

I really like this 50s inspired cape which I found on knitonthenet.blogspot.com. I didn't consider knitting as an option for my final design but I really like the way this one looks:

"Using an unusual tufted stitch, this flattering garment is inspired by elegant capes from the 1950s. It is also reminiscent of the capes worn by nurses in the same period, and I can just remember my own mother wearing a longer early-sixties version with her uniform in the late seventies. It is a really easy knit and would be great to start now in time for the chilly days of autumn. (Yes, I know. Hard to imagine just now in the Great British Heatwave!*)
It really is a very versatile pattern which will fit sizes 30-52" bust and Susan says in her pattern notes that:



"The finished length is measured from the top of the main body at the front neck and includes the garter stitch edging around the bottom of the cape. The cape is very generous and accommodating in size and shape and will fit a variety of sizes. As a result, I suggest you consider what fit you would like before choosing your size. The small will actually fit a 42 inch chest but it will fit higher and more open at the front."
The cape is knitted in a standard double knit yarn on 5mm needles and is very warm without being bulky. The tufted stitch pattern makes lots of surface area to keep you cosy without great weight. This pattern would be excellent TV knitting (whilst watching the World Cup or maybe Wimbledon at the moment?) and is a real stashbuster, using only 5 or 6 balls of the main colour and one other for contrast."

This piece has inspired me to tryout knitting for the first time, creating a few samples to see how a cape like this might be achieved. I will then be able to decide whether or not to use this technique in my final design after finding out how well I can do it and how time consuming it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment