Thursday 4 November 2010

Photoshop Manipulation



I really like the classic 1950's makeup style, so I would love to incorporate it into my final piece. I think the best way to do this would be to print onto the fabric I will be using to make a fashion garment. I would like to try out some different printing techniques to find out which one would work best for my idea.

The printing technique I am most familiar with is digital printing, so I will try this technique first. For this I need a digital image to print onto fabric. As I don't yet have my own primary photos of 1950's makeup, I will use stock images to see how well I can manipulate the photos on Photoshop, to make them print worthy. If I like the results I will take my own makeup photographs and print the finished images onto fabric.

Edit:
After searching for some vintage makeup stock photographs on deviantart.com, I came across this image of a model wearing the classic 1950's red lipstick and black, winged eyeliner by Quiet Storm Stock.

I opened the image in Photoshop, cropped it and started playing with the colour levels, filters and brushes. I added highlights to her hair, eyes, nose, upper lip and gave her cheeks a rosy glow using the paintbrush. I 'desasturated' the top layer, making it a 'grayscale' image, before lowering the opacity to get a pale skin effect. However, I erased the grayscale layer around her hair, lips and eyes to really make the yellow, blue and red pop out.




This was my end result:




I really like the way the image turned out- the colours really pop and the whole image looks good enough to print in my opinion. However, I think the image looks more like a 1930's illustration than a 1950's one, after comparing it to this image:


I got rid of the rosy cheeks, blue irises (which looked purple) and darkened the lips slightly, making the lipstick look more matte.


I still felt the hair was perhaps too yellow, so I gave her red hair instead:

 

However, I thought it looked too unnatural, almost like an orange dye, so I prefer my second attempt overall.

I would like to experiment with some different stock images though, to see if I can get closer to the 1950's look.

No comments:

Post a Comment